Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Canyon Light: Thoughts While Rafting the Grand Canyon


Canyon Light…

I rest in the canyon tonight, taunted by the sounds of a distant rapid…
Tomorrow I will be a conqueror, as my raft pushes back against the will of the water...

but that is tomorrow…

Tonight I lie on my back, starring at stars… billions of them, scattered with purpose.
I’m in awe of my insignificance; surely I am in a Holy Temple, honored to be His guest.

Gusts of wind stir the tiny grains of sand. I cover my body with a cloth… I do not cover my eyes. I wish not to miss a moment of the display. I am humbled.

I listen to the sounds. I feel the heat against my face. I welcome a cool wind that
makes its way through the canyon. I am thankful for this time, and I think of my children, wishing they were here.

I silently ask forgiveness, feeling unworthy, for I have been given a glimpse of Him through this canyon. I praise His name, for He is God Almighty! He is the creator.
I am thankful to be His child.

Below these canyon walls so steep, I hear His whisper of adoration and receive absolution. I am lifted. Truly I am in His presence. I am honored He allows me entry…

The stars become brighter, silhouetted against the towers of Limestone and rock. The quarter moon makes its way over the rim and reflects against the flowing water.
A quiet wind captures my prayers and moves them down river, to be blown skyward, as an offering of praise!

My eyes grow weary, my body thirsts for sleep. I fight to stay awake, but the battle is lost. I surrender and drift away to enjoin my dreams.
dw 05’

No comments:

Post a Comment